The Royal condominiums. The bland 1970s exterior makes the building pretty non-descript, but it's interest lies in it's history. The Royal opened as a hotel in 1923, and became the anchor for the surrounding, new, and growing Hyde Park area.
It was the first hotel along the Blvd., and began a trend which saw other condo towers develop. The building was converted from a hotel to apartments in the early 1950s, and a stucco exterior was added. Around 1970, the building underwent extensive renovations that stripped it of it's interesting 1920s feel, and gave it an ugly 1970s, bland, ugly Florida feel.
The building is also notable in the local radio broadcasting community, in the 1950's it's upper floor was home to the WPKM studios.)
COPYRIGHT 1998-2015 J&V SERVICES INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
NO REPRODUCTION OR PUBLICATION WITH OUT WRITTEN PERMISSION NEITHER J&V SERVICES NOR ANY AFFILATE OR SUBSIDARY THER OF WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIRD PARTY MATERIAL